Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I Did It My Way

Photobucket



The post everyone has been waiting for. As I said previously, this was a group of guys that met and lived in the same hall at Tech. They called themselves the FWADS and had somewhat of a reputation around Wadsworth Hall. When I say reputaion maybe I should really say disliked. Especially by the hall that was living on the floor below them. How would you like guys bowling in the hallway above you? One night another group of guys had done something destructive (I can't remember what) in Wads and had signed FWADS to their handiwork. No problem though because they had forgotten to dot the D and thus proved that the real FWADS were innocent this time. They should have know better because the name FWADS was carved in numerous dining hall trays and the D was always dotted.

Let me say we were young.

dave & carrie, mtu



We were young and stupid and in no way am I condoning our behavior at the time. Are you listening, John? Plus, the drinking age was 18 so it was legal for them to be drinking. Are you listening, John? Good, now that we have that cleared up on to the pictures everyone has been waiting for.

Not all the pictures are labeled but I believe this is a party in Grand Rapids during spring break. Yes, that would be C-2 in the middle of that picture.

fwads, mtu



These were taken at D's 20th birthday. Don't ask I have no idea why I was standing on the table. I am sure it seemed like a good idea at the time. And no I wasn't drinking so I can't use that as an excuse. I am really surprised that I was even there. I never went to the bars with them and rarely to their parties. But it does look like everyone is having a good time doesn't it?

fwads, mtu



fwads, mtu



fwads, mtu



This looks like this was taken the same night. I will have to ask D what he was doing or maybe C-2 remembers?

dave, mtu



Note the famous orange cup.

fwads, mtu



I have no explanation for this picture and neither does Koz.

koz, mtu



Tom and D.

tom and dave, mtu



There is always a reason to have a party.

fwads, mtu



This group even had a signature song! Can you guess what it might be? I bet you would be surprised. It was sang at many a party. (Note the D is dotted.)

i did it my way, mtu



I hope you enjoyed the pictures. Next up, 30 years later.

And now I will leave you with some lyrics to their signature song. Did you guess right? For those paying attention, I had a hint in today's title.

"And now, the end is here
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and ev'ry highway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way"

16 comments....porters always have something to say!:

Anonymous said...

I can't get over the glasses and that picture of you dancing on the table. I'm speechless.

carriegel said...

ha! glad you enjoyed the pictures. you will never see me on a table again.

jporterGOP said...

wow....yes, i was listening

megawatt miler said...

i have nothing to say except im a little disturbed. please no more kissing pictures.

also-is that my harriet the spy sweatshirt making an appearance on both you and dad?

Anonymous said...

BTW Megawatt Miler -- I loved your Harriet the Spy phase. Future blog perhaps?

Unknown said...

Rather tame for what pictures could have shown up.

Unknown said...

Okay I think the first picture is a bar somewhere because Harvey is in it and I don't think he met us in Grand Rapids when we went there on spring break.

The other pictures I think are at DaMarts cabin at Twin Lakes.

And no I don't remember what Dino is doing but if I were to guess I would say it has something to do with blind baseball.

carriegel said...

the back of that picture is labeled grand rapids spring break. sorry, your memory must be going now that you are 50.

and i have some harriet pictures if anyone is interested.

Anonymous said...

I knew it was from GR. I was there.

Unknown said...

I remember going to GR but I don't remember the party.

We must of played blind baseball though because in the one picture where Harvey is holding up "The Cup" you can see the cards on the table. It's the only game I know of where we used "The Cup."

carriegel said...

you were there?

Anonymous said...

It was one of the few times I got to tag along.

JP said...

Wow... where did dad get that sweater?

Shaelynn said...

I'm interested in Harriet pictures. I remember the obsession with the book!

And if my mother was at that party, I'd be interested in photos... if anyone has them.

Anonymous said...

No pictures of me at that party or somebody might've remembered I was there.

megawatt miler said...

theres definitely NO ONE going to be interested in harriet pictures.

About Me

My photo
I'm strange, but I've got a great sister!

Newton's Cradle