Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Man and His......

We had 10 yards of mulch delivered to our house yesterday.

Photobucket



I know that sounds like a lot of mulch but when we spread mulch two years ago we ended up using 30 yards of mulch and that still didn't cover all of the planting beds. Can you guess what I will be doing in the coming week while D is out of town? Yes, a man and his mulch. It's a good thing.

Photobucket



Yesterday was also the day I finally got my car into the garage to have it inspected. You see the Nazi state of PA doesn't think we are capable of determining whether our car is safe to drive. No, we must take it once a year to a garage and have it inspected at a cost of $21.20. But I have found a way to beat the system. You see when they put the new sticker on the car it is dated at the time of the actual inspection not when it was supposed to be inspected. I have been a month late every year. So far I have gained 3 months. At this rate by the time we move I will have gained a year. I may not be able to win the war but I can win the occasional battle.

Photobucket



If the day wasn't exciting enough we had a party for one of D's departing girls in his office. She is moving to Georgia to try something new. It forced us to clean up the yard and deck and for that we are grateful. The rain held off until after the grilling and eating were done so we were happy about that. All and all it was an eventful day in Western PA.

Photobucket


The bad news it is still raining and the Kenny Chesney concert starts in one hour. We may be getting we this year. I am taking my camera and will report on the happenings down in the big city.

I will leave you with a funny story that happened to D last weekend when he was umpiring. The home team was down by 15 runs and were batting. It was the last inning so it was do or die at this point. There were two outs and a man on first. The runner tried to steal second and D called him out at second. The coach yelled "Let the runner stay there so the pitcher can finish the inning." D yelled back, "Oh, I must have missed another call!". Everyone laughed and the runner stayed on second. The batter ended up walking. Just in case you think this turned out to be a miracle come back, it wasn't. The next batter struck out and the inning and game was over.

13 comments....porters always have something to say!:

megawatt miler said...

i like it when you post pictures of the house-thats a lot of mulch!

spent all day at the beach today-perfect weather here!

Unknown said...

Your perfect weather should continue through tomorrow because it has been quite nice here today.

What did you grill for your guest? Was it ribs?

Anonymous said...

Hey - we grilled tonight. Pork loin. Pictures later.

Unknown said...

Can't wait.

I didn't cook a darn thing today, went to the dirt track races, ate brats, pictures later.

carriegel said...

we did something easy. brots, hamburgers, and chicken breasts. we have ribs in the freezer that i am looking forward to.

Unknown said...

Is it brots or brats? Here in Wisconsin it's brats. I don't really care they are good either way.

We had to get emissions test and safety test done in Virgina, one was good for a year the other for two years, we had to pay for both. Here in Wisconsin we only need to get emissions test and only if you live in certain counties. The state pays for it here.

carriegel said...

it's brats, i spell it the way i say it.

carriegel said...

i don't have a problem with emission tests. we only have safety inspections in our county. brakes, lights, etc. i don't need the govt telling me if my car needs repairs. i can figure that out for myself, thank you.

Unknown said...

That's kinda the way I see it too, government should stay out of our lives, vote libertarian.

I looked it up on the Internet and brats or brots is spelled both ways. My spell checker says brots it wrong but there are a lot of missing words in it.

jporterGOP said...

this is my present to Uncle Dino for Father's Day...make sure he watches it :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UddURb0alQc

carriegel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
carriegel said...

he just rolled his eyes. you know he really hates that song.

Unknown said...

I thought it might be that song.

About Me

My photo
I'm strange, but I've got a great sister!

Newton's Cradle