Friday, April 25, 2008

Song Sequels

The sequel to the song Taxi came up on my ipod the other day and it got me thinking (always dangerous I know). Why aren't more sequels written for songs? Movies have sequels. Books have sequels. Even video games have sequels. Sometimes even a tv show is reprised once in awhile so we can learn what happened to our favorite characters. But songs not so much. Other than Taxi by Harry Chapin, I can think of only one other song that has had a sequel written to tell the listener what had happened to the people in the song. So in honor of the late and great Harry Chapin, here is Taxi and its sequel. Enjoy.



I was lucky enough to see Harry Chapin in concert at Central. It had to be either the winter of 76 or 77. Needless to say it was a great show.

I shouldn't be admitting this but as I was looking for this song I found the lyrics. Would you believe I never knew this part was in the song until I just listened to it tonight.

Baby's so high that she's skying,
Yes she's flying, afraid to fall.
I'll tell you why baby's crying,
Cause she's dying, aren't we all.

Where have I been? I am just going to blame it on my hearing. His voice is too high pitched for me to hear it clearly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.


Bummer, I can't post the video for the sequel but here is the link to youtube if you want to watch it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rCAdlnkjCgM



For you American Idol fans, go down to the previous post. I found the studio version of Music of the Night. Give it a listen. Unbelievable is all I have to say.

7 comments....porters always have something to say!:

Anonymous said...

I think I have one of my own to post. Probably Monday -- Miss K has her first game in Midland so there'll be no time to post.

carriegel said...

Wow, you're fast.

Unknown said...

You took one of my post ideas. I was waiting for you to do your solo artist and then I was going to post this song after everybody missed it.

carriegel said...

you snooze, you lose

Unknown said...

Don't forget he also did Cats in the Cradle, maybe his best song.

I don't think there has ever been a better storyteller/songwriter than Harry Chapin.

carriegel said...

He was the best. I love his music. Mail Order Annie is another good one.

megawatt miler said...

i like taxi better than cats in the cradle but maybe that is because its been played too much.

About Me

My photo
I'm strange, but I've got a great sister!

Newton's Cradle