Friday, May 8, 2009

Dinner or Disaster

For you astute readers out there I think I mentioned somewhere on the web that I was having a Dinner or Disaster a couple of Sundays ago. The recipe to be tried was a Salami and Brie Panini. Have I got your attention? Really how can you go wrong with salami and brie in one sandwich.

Here are the stars of this show.

d or d, 4.09



Now this is a panini which usually requires a panini press. I don't have such a thing and didn't really want to invest in one either. I prefer to have the fewest gadgets I can get away with. After all this stuff has to be stored somewhere and I don't have that much cupboard space. This called for improvisation and I was up for the challenge. First, the pan. I have been wanting to get my first piece of cast iron and this was my chance.

d or d. 4.09



Now for the press part of the equation. I asked Dave if we had any bricks laying around. No go. Hmmm. After a day's thought I came up with a solution.

Photobucket



Can you tell what it is? Here is a better look.

d or d, 4/09



I had my "panini press", my ingredients, I was ready.

First, grill the apples. I didn't mention that did I? Yes, this panini also includes Granny Smith Apples.

d or d, 4.09



Next assemble all of the ingredients into a sandwich ready for grilling. I was lucky and my local, expensive grocery store carries ciabatta bread.

d or d, 4.09



The press in action.

d or d, 4.09



The finished product.

Photobucket



My verdict. I loved it! In fact, I have been eating them the past two weeks. The only thing I changed from the first attempt was the flame under the pan. I had it too hot on the first attempt. Today I ate the last of the brie, bread and apples. Next time I go shopping I will be buying the ingredients so I can make this again.

Here is the recipe for those that are interested. I found this on The Ladies Home Journal web site.

Salami and Brie Panini

Prep: 15 min
Start to Finish: 20 min

Ingredients
1 Granny Smith apple
1 loaf or 4 rolls ciabatta
4 oz Brie, sliced
12 (4 to 5 oz) thin slices hard salami
1/2 tbsp olive oil

Directions
1.Heat a grill pan on the stove or a grill press. Slice apple into thin rounds and place on grill until just soft, 2 to 3 min.

2.Cut bread into 4 pieces; slice pieces or rolls in half lengthwise. Divide Brie among sandwiches. Top with salami, apples and remaining bread.

3.Brush sandwiches with olive oil and grill until cheese is melted and bread is just crisp, about 7 min; serve hot. Makes 4 paninis.

Nutrition Facts
Calories 475, Total Fat (g) 21.5, Saturated Fat (g) 9.5, Cholesterol (mg) 59, Sodium (mg) 1306, Carbohydrate (g) 48, Fiber (g) 3, Protein (g) 22, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

1 comments....porters always have something to say!:

Anonymous said...

I am so making that this weekend! I know a little girl that loves brie and salami. I bet she'll tolerate the apples to have it!

About Me

My photo
I'm strange, but I've got a great sister!

Newton's Cradle