Saturday, December 12, 2009

Finished!

It took me a little longer than planned and few more emails to my not that much younger sister than planned but I have finished my first quilt. Well not really my first.

This is the first quilt I ever made.

Photobucket


The funny thing is I don't remember when I made it. I think it was when we were living in Custer's hometown the second time. I don't even remember why I decided to make it and why I never made another one. When I took it off the shelf today to take a photo I noticed that I had even taken the time to hand quilt it. Why? I don't know. So many unanswered questions.

A few years later when Sarah graduated from high school I decided to make a quilt for her. It is composed of pictures of her and her friends. I even had her friends write messages on it for her. I do remember making it and it came out fairly well considering I just made it up as I went. Sorry no photo because it resides in western Michigan.

My not that much younger sister talks me into many things and the latest was that I should try making another quilt. After looking around the internet it was obvious that things had changed in the intervening years. I really liked what I saw and decided it was time to take up quilting for the third time. After all the third time's a charm. Or so I've heard.

Modern quilts can be very colorful and graphic. Though the basic construction hasn't changed all that much some of the "rules" have. Now many people don't wash their fabrics before sewing. They wait until they are finished and then wash and dry the quilt so it becomes all soft and crinkly. As far as patterns, almost anything goes from classic to modern freeform.

Armed with all of my newfound knowledge it was time to sew. Here is the result.

Photobucket


I made a few mistakes and my quilting lines could probably be a little straighter but I think it turned out pretty well. I really like the orange binding. Have I said how much I like orange?

Photobucket


Another big change is now people put as much time into the back of their quilts as the front. Frequently leftover material is used to do a simple design on the back. I used all of my leftover fabric to do this simple stripe on the back.

Photobucket


It has been through the washer and dryer and now Jo and I are enjoying it in our chair. There is nothing better than a warm fire, warm dog and warm quilt on a cold winter's night.

I had planned on making a quilt for Sarah next but the fabric she picked out has just started to show up in the quilt shops. I've ordered it but while I am waiting I have started another quilt. I bought this as a kit and am in love with the colors. I can't wait to see what it looks like when I get all of the quilt blocks sewn together.

Photobucket


I will keep you posted as I make progress on my current quilt.

2 comments....porters always have something to say!:

Anonymous said...

Oh it came out so good! I really like it!

megawatt miler said...

cant wait!

i am using mine right now...its actually getting a little bit up from all the years of use. the pictures are starting to crack-i mgiht have to retire it when i get a new one!

About Me

My photo
I'm strange, but I've got a great sister!

Newton's Cradle